‘The 5-week-old striped tabby had a chance for a good life. But just three days after the young rescued kitten was fitted with a flea collar bought at a pet supply shop, he was dead on arrival at a mobile veterinary clinic in the Bronx.
The kitty’s distraught owner, who was not identified, said he didn’t know the flea collar was highly toxic to kittens under 12 weeks old. Instead, the first-time cat owner followed the advice of a misinformed clerk at a large retail pet supply store in Westchester County, Alexanian said.
As the weather heats up, there are a dizzying array of toxic pesticides, repellents and growth inhibitors available to protect pets from fleas, ticks and mosquitoes.
While it’s imperative to protect pets against disease, experts say extreme caution is needed to prevent skin irritations, seizures and sudden death.’
The first point will make about flea collars is they just don’t work. The second point is that the chemicals in the flea collars are very dangerous. I suspect the reason anyone is buying them is because they are cheap.
If anyone wants an example of how saving money in the wrong places can cost you double, you can’t go past the flea collar.