The recall is due to pieces of plastics found in dog food.
The recalled food items are:
- UPC: 2310034974 Product: PEDIGREE +® Healthy Weight Premium Ground Entrée in Meaty Juices
- UPC: 2310001913 Product: PEDIGREE® Weight Management Meaty Ground Dinner Beef & Liver Dinner in Meaty Juices
- UPC: 2310023045 Product: PEDIGREE® Weight Management Meaty Ground Dinner Chicken & Rice Dinner in Meaty Juices
The recalled cans would have bar-codes which begin with 209, 210, 211 or 212
So what do you do if your dog already consumed one of the above products:
- Don’t panic. The risk of contamination is low.
- Going to the Vet probably wouldn’t help. Plastic pieces of that nature are invisible to X-ray so there would be little your Vet could do to identify the problem inside your dog.
- Do not try to make your dog vomit. Vomiting sharp objects could make the problem worse.
- Monitor your dog for signs of vomiting, abdominal pain, not eating, straining to defecate. If these occur – go to your Vet.
- Dogs are exceptionally good at passing out sharp objects. Previous research indicates that dog can ingest razor blades and cut glass and pass them out safely. So chances are, even in the worst case scenario nothing will happen.